Choosing a Major
Are you having trouble choosing a
major? Do you doubt the major you've
You're not alone!
It's common for students to be undecided. Often students lack information about themselves as well as the various majors and their related careers. When choosing a major you need to consider your interests, personality, values and skills. In other words, you need to do a thorough self-assessment.
Our career counselor can administer and interpret career assessments as well as offer support and encouragement as you gather information and move toward making a well-informed decision.
Some suggestions to get you started:
- To schedule an appointment with a career counselor, please call 404-894-2550.
- Attend the annual Georgia Tech Majors Fair during the fall semester. See the Upcoming Student Programs Calendar on our homepage.
- Visit the Career Library for information about various majors and related careers. Books such as College Majors and Careers, Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance, Occupational Outlook Handbook and Dictionary of Occupational Titles are very helpful. Computer resources such as the Georgia Career Information System (GCIS) are also helpful.The Georgia Tech username for GCIS is "gatechcs" and the password is "gcis1906". You can access valuable information on various occupations and businesses at WETFEET.
- Review the GT catalog and textbooks in the GT bookstore.
- Conduct informational interviews with professors, advisers and alumni.